Franklin County Engineer Facebook Feed

Franklin County Engineer

As a local public works agency headquartered in Columbus, Ohio, the Franklin County Engineer's Office is responsible for the maintenance and construction of 271 miles of county roadway and 351 county bridges, as well as upkeep of all county ditches, drains, retention basins, and other storm water facilities within the right-of-way of county roads in unincorporated areas. To meet the continuing development and infrastructure needs of Franklin County, the Engineer's Office utilizes the latest technologies for determining and maintaining roadway centerlines and boundaries; retracing and setting new monuments for original public land surveys; preparing geographic information system mapping for real estate tax assessments; and establishing precise countywide horizontal and vertical control to maintain uniformity in construction, surveying, and mapping.
Franklin County Engineer
Franklin County Engineer
Beach Road, between Amity Road and Plain City-Georgesville Road, will be closed beginning Monday, August 31, 2026, for bridge rehabilitation work. The closure will last approximately five (5) days, weather permitting.
Franklin County Engineer
Franklin County Engineer
Cooke Road improvements are moving forward! Crews are making progress on storm sewer, roadway construction and new curb and gutter from Karl Road to Cleveland Avenue. Beginning Sept. 14, one westbound lane will reopen between Karl Road and Dresden Street, weather permitting.
Franklin County Engineer
Franklin County Engineer
Notice to Contractors: We are accepting bids on the Kropp Road Drainage Outlet Improvement Part 2 Improvements Project. Visit: https://www.bidexpress.com/solicitations for more information.
Franklin County Engineer
Franklin County Engineer
Cooke Road, between Dresden Street and Walford Street, is closed for roadway improvements and the addition of pedestrian facilities. The closure will last approximately seventy-five (75) days, weather permitting.
Franklin County Engineer
Franklin County Engineer
We had a fantastic time at New Albany’s Touch-A-Truck event! Families stopped by to explore our snowplow truck, get a closer look at the equipment we use to keep our roadways safe, and pick up some fun giveaways. The day was filled with lots of excitement, curious kids, and wonderful conversations with the community. Thank you to the New Albany, Ohio Government for hosting such a fun and engaging event!
Franklin County Engineer
Franklin County Engineer
Hardy Parkway Street, south of Frank Road, is now closed for roadway improvements. The road is expected to remain closed for approximately 30 days, weather permitting.
Franklin County Engineer's Office
970 DUBLIN ROAD
COLUMBUS, OHIO 43215
(614) 525-3030
fracoeng@franklincountyengineer.org

Follow Us

Top
 

Highway Chronicle Chapter 4

Highway Chronicle Chapter 4

Original Franklin County Highways are Built

horse ride
trees

In 1826, the general assembly approved legislation incorporating the Columbus & Sandusky Turnpike Company to build a highway to the Lake Erie region. The 106-mile long turnpike was opened in 1834 for $75,000. The compacted clay and loam surface, however, proved to be inferior to macadam construction and was often described by disgruntled travelers as “the long line of mud.”

Corduroy roadways, consisting of logs embedded side by side across mud-prone areas, were constructed to provide passable surfaces. Heavy use eventually caused them to slump and become hazardously bumpy.

Building plank roads with 8-foot long boards laid upon an extensive 16-foot wide framework of stringers was another early innovation, but maintaining the wooden members was arduous work.

Despite the lack of uniformity in construction, a highway boom across Franklin County eventually included the Columbus & Portsmouth Turnpike (1847), Columbus & Harrisburg Turnpike (1849), Columbus & Worthington Plank Road, replacing the Franklin County section of the Columbus & Sandusky Turnpike (1850), Columbus & Groveport Turnpike (1850), Johnstown Plank Road (1852), Columbus & Granville Turnpike (1852), Franklin & Jackson Turnpike (1852), Columbus & Sunbury Plank Road (1852); and the Clinton & Blendon Plank Road to Westerville (1854).

These early thoroughfares were operated by incorporated highway companies that financed construction and maintenance costs through stock sales, toll collections, and government appropriations.