Franklin County Engineer Facebook Feed

Franklin County Engineer

As a local public works agency headquartered in Columbus, Ohio, the Franklin County Engineer's Office is responsible for the maintenance and construction of 271 miles of county roadway and 351 county bridges, as well as upkeep of all county ditches, drains, retention basins, and other storm water facilities within the right-of-way of county roads in unincorporated areas. To meet the continuing development and infrastructure needs of Franklin County, the Engineer's Office utilizes the latest technologies for determining and maintaining roadway centerlines and boundaries; retracing and setting new monuments for original public land surveys; preparing geographic information system mapping for real estate tax assessments; and establishing precise countywide horizontal and vertical control to maintain uniformity in construction, surveying, and mapping.
Franklin County Engineer
Franklin County Engineer
Beach Road, between Amity Road and Plain City-Georgesville Road, will be closed beginning Monday, August 31, 2026, for bridge rehabilitation work. The closure will last approximately five (5) days, weather permitting.
Franklin County Engineer
Franklin County Engineer
Cooke Road improvements are moving forward! Crews are making progress on storm sewer, roadway construction and new curb and gutter from Karl Road to Cleveland Avenue. Beginning Sept. 14, one westbound lane will reopen between Karl Road and Dresden Street, weather permitting.
Franklin County Engineer
Franklin County Engineer
Notice to Contractors: We are accepting bids on the Kropp Road Drainage Outlet Improvement Part 2 Improvements Project. Visit: https://www.bidexpress.com/solicitations for more information.
Franklin County Engineer
Franklin County Engineer
Cooke Road, between Dresden Street and Walford Street, is closed for roadway improvements and the addition of pedestrian facilities. The closure will last approximately seventy-five (75) days, weather permitting.
Franklin County Engineer
Franklin County Engineer
We had a fantastic time at New Albany’s Touch-A-Truck event! Families stopped by to explore our snowplow truck, get a closer look at the equipment we use to keep our roadways safe, and pick up some fun giveaways. The day was filled with lots of excitement, curious kids, and wonderful conversations with the community. Thank you to the New Albany, Ohio Government for hosting such a fun and engaging event!
Franklin County Engineer
Franklin County Engineer
Hardy Parkway Street, south of Frank Road, is now closed for roadway improvements. The road is expected to remain closed for approximately 30 days, weather permitting.
Franklin County Engineer's Office
970 DUBLIN ROAD
COLUMBUS, OHIO 43215
(614) 525-3030
fracoeng@franklincountyengineer.org

Follow Us

Top
 

Bridge Builders Biography Chapter 5

Bridge Builders Biography Chapter 5

Bergstresser-Dietz Covered Bridge

bridge
bridge

Although the construction of ornamental covered bridges can be traced to ancient China and Babylonia, the idea of erecting a house-like structure on top of a bridge, to protect its wooden deck and trusses from the weather, was developed by early Swiss, German and Austrian engineers. By 1760, more than 100 covered bridges spanned the Rhine River, thus influencing the way European immigrants would build bridges in America.

The Bergstresser-Dietz Covered Bridge, which carried Ashbrook Road over the Little Walnut Creek in Canal Winchester, is the oldest bridge in Franklin County. The triple Partridge Truss design was patented by Rueben Partridge, Vice President of the Columbus Bridge Company, which built the crossing for the county in 1887 at a cost of $2,690. The single span, white oak and pine timber structure is 125 feet long, 20 feet wide, and has an interior clearance of nearly 14 feet.

The historic bridge, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, was named for neighboring property owners Daniel Bergstresser and Samuel Dietz who joined Benjamin Ashbrook in petitioning the board of county commissioners for a formal roadway and river crossing to serve local farmers.

An extensive restoration project by the county transformed the single lane crossing into a pedestrian bridge in 1991.