Franklin County Engineer Facebook Feed

Franklin County Engineer

As a local public works agency headquartered in Columbus, Ohio, the Franklin County Engineer's Office is responsible for the maintenance and construction of 271 miles of county roadway and 351 county bridges, as well as upkeep of all county ditches, drains, retention basins, and other storm water facilities within the right-of-way of county roads in unincorporated areas. To meet the continuing development and infrastructure needs of Franklin County, the Engineer's Office utilizes the latest technologies for determining and maintaining roadway centerlines and boundaries; retracing and setting new monuments for original public land surveys; preparing geographic information system mapping for real estate tax assessments; and establishing precise countywide horizontal and vertical control to maintain uniformity in construction, surveying, and mapping.
Franklin County Engineer
Franklin County Engineer
Beach Road, between Amity Road and Plain City-Georgesville Road, will be closed beginning Monday, August 31, 2026, for bridge rehabilitation work. The closure will last approximately five (5) days, weather permitting.
Franklin County Engineer
Franklin County Engineer
Cooke Road improvements are moving forward! Crews are making progress on storm sewer, roadway construction and new curb and gutter from Karl Road to Cleveland Avenue. Beginning Sept. 14, one westbound lane will reopen between Karl Road and Dresden Street, weather permitting.
Franklin County Engineer
Franklin County Engineer
Notice to Contractors: We are accepting bids on the Kropp Road Drainage Outlet Improvement Part 2 Improvements Project. Visit: https://www.bidexpress.com/solicitations for more information.
Franklin County Engineer
Franklin County Engineer
Cooke Road, between Dresden Street and Walford Street, is closed for roadway improvements and the addition of pedestrian facilities. The closure will last approximately seventy-five (75) days, weather permitting.
Franklin County Engineer
Franklin County Engineer
We had a fantastic time at New Albany’s Touch-A-Truck event! Families stopped by to explore our snowplow truck, get a closer look at the equipment we use to keep our roadways safe, and pick up some fun giveaways. The day was filled with lots of excitement, curious kids, and wonderful conversations with the community. Thank you to the New Albany, Ohio Government for hosting such a fun and engaging event!
Franklin County Engineer
Franklin County Engineer
Hardy Parkway Street, south of Frank Road, is now closed for roadway improvements. The road is expected to remain closed for approximately 30 days, weather permitting.
Franklin County Engineer's Office
970 DUBLIN ROAD
COLUMBUS, OHIO 43215
(614) 525-3030
fracoeng@franklincountyengineer.org

Follow Us

Top
 

Bridge Builders Biography Chapter 1

Bridge Builders Biography Chapter 1

First Crossings

statue

Early settler and surveyor Lucas Sullivant built the first bridge in Franklin County over the Scioto River in 1816, just south of present day Broad Street. As the founder of the community of Franklinton, on the west bank, he strove to meet the growing transportation needs of the area’s 700 residents that had relied solely on ferry service to cross the river. The wooden, open-deck, toll bridge was widely used except on Sundays when travel was limited to those attending church and family gatherings.

Upon Sullivant’s death in 1823, son Joseph inherited the aging bridge and oversaw its reconstruction and eventual sale for $10,000 to make way for the federally built National Road (Main Street, High Street, and Broad Street) through Franklin County.

The new National Road crossing, completed in 1834, was a Town’s lattice truss covered bridge. The 340-foot long wooden structure was supported by a single river pier and abutments at each end, all built with locally quarried stone. Oak pegs were used in the superstructure instead of nails.

The popular toll-free bridge withstood the wear and tear of cattle drives, heavy wagons, and flooding until it was replaced in 1882.

bridge